Thursday 23 January 2014

Really complicated dahl soup

I made a really complicated dahl recipe by from the Guardian by Urvesh Parvais (me neither) when some friends came round for lunch on New Year's Day. As usual, I had tons left over, and as usual I turned the leftover dahl into soup.

Really complicated dahl soup
As I said, this dahl was really complicated. To give you an idea how complicated, here's the list of ingredients:


Complicated dahl ingredients

  • red lentils 250g
  • sunflower oil 3 tbsp 
  • dry chilli 1 
  • cumin seeds 1 heaped tsp 
  • asafoetida ¼ tsp 
  • garlic ½ small bulb, sliced 1mm 
  • onion ½, finely sliced
  • turmeric ½ level tsp 
  • salt 2 level tsp (then add to taste) 
  • ginger finely chopped 1½ heaped tbsp 
  • green chilli 2, finely chopped (adjust to your taste) 
  • dhana jeru (2 parts coriander seed, 1 part cumin seed) 3 heaped tsp 
  • fresh coriander ½ bunch (reserve a little for garnish), roughly chopped 
  • tomatoes 100g, roughly chopped 
  • jaggery (or sugar) 1½ level tsp (add less to begin with then adjust to taste) 
  • garam masalo ½ level tsp

I could go on to explain the extremely complicated method for making this dahl, but my guess is you're not going to bother making it, so I'm not going to bother writing it. If you fancy giving it a shot, go to the Guardian website.  

My friends did say that it was lovely dahl, though it was a little too thick for my liking. However, when I turned it into soup and had some at work it was way too garlicky. When I first read the recipe I wasn't sure if it really meant 1/2 bulb garlic, or if this was a typo and was meant to read 1/2 clove garlic. Deciding a clove was too little and a bulb too much, I think I settled on about 4 cloves. The garlic is sliced, not crushed, and half of it is added in the last 5-10 minutes' cooking time. It was these slices that I picked out of my soup, though admittedly they were slightly larger than the recommended 1mm thickness. Guiltily, I threw away the remaining portion of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment