Friday 31 January 2014

Keith Floyd's garlic chicken

My sister-in-law showed me this recipe when I last saw her on New Year's Eve. I have to admit I didn't pay that much attention to it at the time (I was watching Julie and Julia), so when O suggested I make it, it took a bit of online searching to find it. Eventually I came across it on this cycling forum:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/pot-roast-chicken-with-100-cloves-of-garlic.86254/

It is an incredibly blokey recipe, I admit. I could not Cope with the amount of Capital Letters used in the Recipe and had to Correct them in my version below, which also includes little more detail than the bike shop boys give. The cycling forum version also suggests that wind (or, as they call it, Wind) might be a consequence of eating this recipe. I don't think you are actually supposed to eat all the garlic that you cook - in fact I think we stopped at 1 or 2 cloves. 

The cycling forum also suggests the chicken is served with tagliatelle and a balsamic-dressed salad. I served this with rice, and forgot to take a photo. Unfortunately, I don't think there will be a next time. 


Ingredients for Keith Floyd's garlic chicken


  • 1 large chicken
  • 12 bulbs* garlic
  • 250 ml red wine vinegar
  • I bunch fresh thyme

*Yes, bulbs.

How to make Keith Floyd's garlic chicken


Heat the oven to 180 degrees C
Break up the garlic bulbs into unpeeled cloves, keeping 2 bulb's worth of cloves separate from the rest.
Place these 2 bulb's worth of garlic inside the cavity of the chicken along with the thyme.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then rub all over with olive oil.
Place the remaining garlic in a large casserole dish for which you have a lid.
Put the chicken on top of the garlic.

Pour in the red wine vinegar.
Cover the pot with the lid and place in the oven for 60-75 mins.

Take the lid off and cook for another 30 to 40 mins - if it looks like it is drying out, add a little water.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment