Thursday 24 October 2013

Blackberry jam



Despite warnings of heavy rain, yesterday was a beautiful sunny autumnal day with only a small shower. I went out picking blackberries, which were perfect, if a little on the small side. This does mean though that they have even less pectin than slightly under-ripe blackberries which are best for making jam.

I based my jam recipe on the one in delicious. magazine but made a few tweaks. This, it turns out, was a mistake - my jam is more of a thick paste. Here is the recipe I used:


Blackberry jam ingredients


  • Just under 2kg blackberries
  • 2kg preserving sugar
  • Juice and rind of 6 lemons

How to make blackberry jam

  1. Remove any stalks and dirt from the blackberries but do not wash them or they will become soggy.
  2. Place in a preserving pan.
  3. Grate the zest from the lemon and squeeze out the juice - add both of these to the pan.
  4.  Put on a low heat and stir regularly for about 5 minutes, till the blackberries have released their juice.
  5. Add the sugar to the pan and stir for about 10 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. 
  6. Increase the heat and boil for about 15 minutes.

 

I actually took out a teeny tiny pots' worth of blackberries to have with my breakfast cereal but since the blackberries were so ripe I thought the slight discrepancy in the blackberry/sugar ratio would help the jam set. Having dropped my sugar thermometer into the jam I couldn't tell whether it had reached the setting point, but since it looked far too runny,  I continued to boil for about 15 minutes. I potted the jam while warm as directed. 

The next day I checked the jam and it was practically solid, with a slight hint of toffee flavour. I unpotted it all back into the pan (resulting in a bent spoon) and added a little water. After cooking gently for about 10 minutes I repotted the jam into resterilized jars. Clearly it still had a slight burnt sugar taste but was slightly runny so at least can be spread on toast. But it's not right, and I feel I have wasted nature's bounty. 



No comments:

Post a Comment